A new WiFi Direct solution (free update) is now added to PdaNet for connecting computers or tablets in addition to USB tether. The legacy WiFi Hotspot solution remains in FoxFi. If the legacy FoxFi feature still works for your phone, it is still the best solution for sharing phone Internet since there is no limit on what kind of devices you can connect.
======(New)WiFi Direct Hotspot=======
This new WiFi Direct feature in PdaNet 5 allows you to connect WiFi mode from computers or tablets. However unlike the old WiFi Hotspot, it will require you to either install PdaNet on the connecting computers/tablets or set up proxy settings. Use this feature if you are no longer able to turn on WiFi Hotspot, or if your WiFi Hotspot usage is being metered when you already have an unlimited data plan.
Android 7.0 (Nougat) or later no longer allows the old WiFi Hotspot mode even for Verizon phones. Please refer to PdaNet instead for alternative solutions.
Due to lockdowns through each phone system update, the old WiFi mode will only be allowed on a short list of compatible devices. As of 11/2016, IN GENERAL:
- –Android 7.0 (Nougat) or later no longer allows WiFi mode even for Verizon phones.
- –Verizon Samsung phones (S3/4/5/6/7/Edge, Note 2/3/4/5 etc.) , Verizon LG phones (V10, G2/3/4/5 etc.) and Verizon Sony phones (Z2/Z3) are supported by Android versions up to Android 6.0/6.1.
- –Verizon HTC phones (M7/8) will only work on Android 4.1 ~ 4.4.
- –Verizon Motorola phones will only work on Android 4.3 or below.
- –AT&T Samsung phones will only work on Android 4.2 or below.
- –Other carriers/phones will only work if they still have Android 4.0 or below.
- –Straight Talk phones will only work if it uses Verizon and are compatible with the above.
- –For all other phones, use USB mode or Bluetooth mode instead.
*To get around lockdowns on WiFi mode FoxFi may prompt you to install a certificate on your phone, this will cause the Android system to enforce a screen lock and show a security message in notification. For more detail and steps to remove screen lock please visit http://pdanet.co/wifi.
*If you receive a message asking for a "password for credential strorage" this is due to a bug in the Android system. Please see steps to clear this message at http://pdanet.co/wifi
Free edition will turn off after timed usage limit but you can turned it back on, otherwise it is same as full version.